Sunday 29 April 2012

Everybody Must Get Stones?


We were reviving ourselves with a strong Americano in York Art Gallery's excellent cafe the other day when I decided to view the latest exhibition, "Gordon Baldwin - Objects for a Landscape" previously dismissed by Mr N for being "Too modern!", though clearly Mr Baldwin is an artist-craftsman inspired by nature, in particular a beach on the Lleyn Peninsula, which he has christened "the place of stones".


As a child of the pebbly shore, feet hardened by barefoot seaside summers,  how could I neglect to have a look at this distinctly beachy-looking show? 
                                                        



                                                      
Mr N was (literally) unmoved - I put on a serious art-appreciation face and did my best, but I soon realised what was missing for me. There was so little colour in these objects. A stoneware graveyard, too black, white and grey. Another person's view of stone in all its forms, so different to my own.
           

Kentish Hag Stones, hung by the door to keep witches out (ineffective in this case).


                                                         
                              Budleigh Salterton, pebble-lover's paradise.

                                                         
                                                            ***
                                                     

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I had one of those funny bathing costumes too. Nylon smocked with elastic. I remember the first time I went into the sea it became translucent much to my disgust and my brothers amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least mine was printed cotton! And I was very relieved that I didn't have a knitted woollen costume, still around in the early 1950s and embarrassingly saggy when wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I had a knitted woollen costume. It was white wool with a red starfish on it - very smart until I went into the sea. The red ran into the white which made pink streaks, and it also sagged as you said. My mother used to pin my plaits on top of my head, which I also hated. I do not seem to have very happy memories of my outfits, although I was crazy about going into the sea and swimming.

      Delete
  3. Aaah! Memories...I also had the pinned up plaits, marginally more comfortable than rubber bathing caps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the education! Never knew they were called Hag stones! Glad you saw m pix at Buttercross, what a crazy day! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the antiques world is generally a bit crazy - but we love it!

      Delete
  5. I had one of those costumes too........ I loved mine and just about lived in it as a child of the Forces out in Aden.

    I have only been to Budleigh Salterton once but thought it amazing, both for its pebbles and its old fashioned feel. (That yellow cellophane stuff still in use in a clothes shop window to stop clothes discolouring in the sun.... kind of expected said shop to be called something like "Jean and Edna Modes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I noticed the cellophane. I spotted novelist Hilary Mantel out for an evening stroll & nearly nudged Mr N off the cliff too.
    A lovely place!

    ReplyDelete