Saturday 28 June 2014

EVERYWHERE PEACE, EVERYWHERE SERENITY

So said St Aelred of Rievaulx Abbey.
 
The view above was my first glimpse of the ruins last year, from the terrace and temples of the 18th century pleasure gardens that look down upon it.


This week, after a disappointingly fruitless hunt round the antiques shops of the Vale of Pickering (one Georgian perfume bottle and some Lidl Extra Virgin Olive Oil), we decided to explore the ruins of Rievaulx Abbey at ground level, before having a picnic.

 
The weather wasn't too bad...
 

 
...and the ruins were divertingly romantic, so at first...

 
...I didn't take too much notice of what was happening.
 


 
The skies darkened - the theme for this blog post was going to be "Peace and Serenity", but the atmosphere changed, like the weather.
 
 
"I think I'm doing what they call reportage," I said.
"I can do better than that with MY camera." replied Mr N. (See his film below.)
 
                                                           

 
I hear that English Heritage wishes to offer sincere apologies to St Aelred.
 
 
***
 
                                                                                    

8 comments:

  1. Ah, definitely a film to contemplate to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - we tried very hard to find some peace, but there were even jet planes flying over the moors!

      Delete
  2. Send them over to me Nilly - I would welcome them at the moment, the lawns are growing like topsy,
    but I do love a wander around a ruined abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking at quite a lot of ruins - we have an English Heritage membership this year!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post about the ruined abbey. There is something about old ruins that seems to stop time and at the same moment give us a big view of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite a profound thought - I shall remember it if I ever get tired of "another old pile of rubble" - as I once heard someone describe Pompeii!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous15 July, 2014

    Lovely witty post - again. Have been countless times to The Terraces but never yet further than the shop and cafe at the Abbey. I'm a member of NT but not EH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are EH-ing this year so I hope I don't get bored by ruins. The trouble is I'm fascinated by decoration and house contents

      Delete